[rescue] External SCSI on SGI Challenge L

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sat Dec 20 18:08:27 CST 2003

Quoth r.stricklin
> On Nov 26, 2003, at 8:50 PM, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
>
> > Is there also a way to make all the internal bays run off one of the
> > controllers on the IO4?
>
> All bays are wired for both busses. Which bus a drive connects to is
> determined by the sled. SGI's sleds have jumpers on to configure busses
> A and B for single-ended or differential operation, as appropriate, and

Wunderbar!  That means I can replace the weenie little 2-gig HVD drives with
something larger and single-ended, just by re-jumpering the sleds, right?  I
saw the bit in the owner's manual about sled-jumpering, but I didn't grok
the both-busses-in-all-bays bit.

That's outstanding.  If I can do that, I don't need to worry about a second
IO4; the Challenge L has seven drive bays, and seven drives ought to be
enough for anybody....

I'll contact you off-list about the parts; I do have a budget, albeit a
small one.

-Shel