[rescue] External SCSI on SGI Challenge L

r.stricklin bear at typewritten.org
Sat Dec 20 18:08:26 CST 2003

On Nov 26, 2003, at 8:50 PM, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> Is there also a way to make all the internal bays run off one of the
> controllers on the IO4?

All bays are wired for both busses. Which bus a drive connects to is
determined by the sled. SGI's sleds have jumpers on to configure busses
A and B for single-ended or differential operation, as appropriate, and

> Next question ... if I get another IO4, what do I have to do to make it
> appear as controllers 2 and 3, so I can use two IO4s in the same
> Challenge?

Remove the VCAM from the second IO4 (if it isn't already), and install
it in the slot immediately to the left of the first IO4 (slot 4). To be
100% correct, you would also install another ebus panel on the
bulkhead, which would terminate the serial and parallel ports (etc) on
that second IO4 in the appropriate connectors. Likewise, install
bulkhead panels for the additional SCSI busses.

> PS: You owe me e-mail about the shelf, sleds, and whatnot, non?

I do. I've been stupid-busy and haven't had a chance yet to
double-check exactly what I've still got available. I haven't
forgotten! I know I can do the shelf and sleds. The PSU and system
controller are what I need to check on. And I was hoping to get
something like $75 or $100 for the VFE board... wasn't sure whether
that would jive with your plans.

ok
bear