[rescue] Time to replace the IPX

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Sat Dec 20 18:08:25 CST 2003

On 2003.11.26 20:36 Paul Weissmann wrote:

> It is a completely new architecture, I don't think these class of
> machines (B2000) have much in common with earlier 32-bit (capable)
> systems.
The IO architecture is no problem here. The CPU architecture
(instructions, registers, MMU, ...) must be compatible. It is a show
stopper if the CPU can't run in a PA1.1 compatible 32 bit mode. You said
that CPUs > PS8200 can't. So the CPU support is the problem.

> They have totally different memory and bus-controllers.
That is no problem. Look at the platform support of NetBSD/Alpha. It
supports so differnt platforms like the DEC 3000 Turbochannel machines,
the AlphaServer 2x00 and 8x00 with a really funky bus architecture
(+interrupt handling) and the quite PeeCee like PCI based AlphaStations.

> All IIRC, I did not dig that much into PA2.0 for now.
I did not dig into PA2.0 at all for now. ;-)
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen