[rescue] Time to replace the IPX

Nathaniel Grady nate at nutopia.org
Sat Dec 20 18:08:23 CST 2003

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 10:34:04 -0500, Mike F Wrote:
 >> Discussion of OpenBSD / HPPA
> but at the time of 3.3, my C110 couldn't even start up the installation.
> So, even though hppa is now part of OpenBSD releases, I get the
> impression that it's still relatively immature - but it's getting better.

I actually had good luck with Linux/HPPA on my C110. My preference was a
BSD, but none seemed ready for production use on HPPA. It was running as
my web/mail server for several months. It never ceased to amaze me just
how fast the machine was - it seemed faster than my G3-300 Powerbook
Pismo. The catch is the internal SCSI -- Fast/Wide HVD or boring old
50-pin poky narrow if memory serves. I never was able to get my hands on
a >4.5gb drive for it. Really cheap machines however, as HP-UX costs so
darn much that there isn't a huge hobbiest market like there is for SUN
gear. A C110 with 2x4.5gb drives and 512mb ram set me back more for
shipping than the machine itself about a year ago on ebay.

--Nate