[rescue] Sun ultra 5 questions

jdboyd at jdboyd.zill.net jdboyd at jdboyd.zill.net
Sat Dec 20 18:08:22 CST 2003

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 03:47:02PM +0200, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:

> 2. Which version of Solaris should I use?

I haven't tried anything other than 9 on my machine, but 9 on 128megs of
ram appears to work OK.  It would be more ram, except the additional memory
still hasn't arrived, and I couldn't keep waiting to put the machine in
colo.  After the memory arrives, I plan to wait until I can get some other
upgrades in (I want a CPU upgrade to a chip with more L2, but can't afford
it at the moment) before actually upgrading the machine.

When the machine was sitting next to me, it didn't appear to suffer from low
memory too much during hard compiles, and it certainly works fine running
interactive SSH.  For some reason starting emacs is rather slow, but that
may be because I did something wrong while installing it.