[rescue] NCD X-terminals and Monitors

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Sat Dec 20 18:08:12 CST 2003

> > As part of the Challenge L rescue, I got an NCD 88k X-terminal, matching
> > monitor, and the cable to connect them.
>
> The X server's going to be the bugger...

Not really that difficult.  The last time I needed one I was able to search
the net and find the software (and before anyone asks, I don't have a copy
available anymore).

> > The cable for this setup has a funky 3-row DB-15-sized connector on the box
> > end, and 3 BNC on the other end.  I'm thinking "3BNC = SOG" ... am I right?
> > Will this monitor work on a Indigo 2 Max Impact?  Would it hurt anything to
> > try it?
>
> prolly sync on greeen, but all the NCD's I've ever seen were HD15

The older NCDs I used had the larger 15-pin connectors.

> > I ass-u-me that the PS/2-looking keyboard connector on the 88k is, in fact,
> > a PS/2 keyboard connector, and that the serial connector for the mouse takes
> > a regular-ole serial mouse.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and thus
> > in danger of letting the magic smoke out.
>
> Yes, NCD's used standard PS/2, but they were UNIX-style layouts, with the
> ctrl in the capslock position.  This may have a deleterious effect on your
> usage... I'd bet the mouse was a mousesystems (3 button), but any should
> do.

NCD had at least three different keyboards.  One was a PC-style layout, one
was a Sun-style layout, and the other was an LK201-style layout.  The mice
we had were all Logitech OEM mice.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net