[rescue] NCD X-terminals and Monitors

biscjohn at locutus.isu.edu biscjohn at locutus.isu.edu
Sat Dec 20 18:08:12 CST 2003

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> As part of the Challenge L rescue, I got an NCD 88k X-terminal, matching
> monitor, and the cable to connect them.

The X server's going to be the bugger...

> The cable for this setup has a funky 3-row DB-15-sized connector on the box
> end, and 3 BNC on the other end.  I'm thinking "3BNC = SOG" ... am I right?
> Will this monitor work on a Indigo 2 Max Impact?  Would it hurt anything to
> try it?

prolly sync on greeen, but all the NCD's I've ever seen were HD15

> I ass-u-me that the PS/2-looking keyboard connector on the 88k is, in fact,
> a PS/2 keyboard connector, and that the serial connector for the mouse takes
> a regular-ole serial mouse.  Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and thus
> in danger of letting the magic smoke out.

Yes, NCD's used standard PS/2, but they were UNIX-style layouts, with the
ctrl in the capslock position.  This may have a deleterious effect on your
usage... I'd bet the mouse was a mousesystems (3 button), but any should
do.