[rescue] 110VAC --> 208 or 220VAC transformers?

Janet L. Campbell janet at foonly.com
Sat Dec 20 18:08:01 CST 2003

On Wed, 19 Nov 2003, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:

> A converter transformer that will take 18A of 110VAC and convert to
> 220 with 9A is availble for about $200 from what I am told.  Plus the
> cost of wiring into the panel I have.
>
> Does anyone have experience with these sort of things?  Any gotchas I
> should watch out for?  I assume that the transformer will for the most
> part give me the same quality of 220 as I have of 110 now (i.e. no
> weird harmonics or crap like that).

A 120/240 transformer rated at 2KVA or so will cost a lot less than $200.
HSC in Rohnert Park, CA was clearing 2.5KVA units out for $20 the last
time I was there.  Check out electronics surplus shops and you should be
able to find something that will work on a budget.

Sinewave A/C is the ideal waveform for a transformer, that's why it's used
in the first place.  It's probably not too critical, though, most
switching power supplies will work with marginal waveforms.

Make sure you're really using a 20A circuit, and check your load with an
ammeter once you bring everything up to make sure you're ok.  Don't forget
to ground everything properly.

-Janet