[rescue] Can someone do me a favor (fast 'net, CD-burner)

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sat Dec 20 18:07:56 CST 2003

 Jonathan C. Patschke informs me ...
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
>
> > I've never really understood the diffo between the M and F
> > streams [of IRIX installations], frankly.
>
> F = patches + new features
> M = patches only.
>
> F is a proper superset of M.
>
> You can switch streams, but it can be a painful process.

It sounds like it might be easier to switch from F to M than the other way
around, though.

If I have an older F stream installation, and try to apply the 6.5.19M
update, what problems might I encounter?  Conflicts I can't resolve?  Smoke?
Plagues of locusts?

Also, how can I tell what I have already installed?  I didn't install the OS
on the Challenge, and when I did the I^2, I had _no_ idea what I was doing.
So, I don't know what's really on either machine.

-Shel