[rescue] [josh at beepmusic.com: could you re-post something for me?]

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Dec 20 18:07:55 CST 2003

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 22:57:46 -0500 (EST)
From: josh grubman <josh at beepmusic.com>
To: rescue at sunhelp.org
Subject: Any Firebox II rescuers out there?

Hi,

I recently acquired a "broken" Watchguard Firebox II destined for the trash.
While searching the web for information on hacking my ugly red brick into
something useful - or at least entertaining - I came across a few posts from
last year by people looking to do the same...

I haven't posted here in a long time, so I felt compelled to share:

Over the weekend, I managed to convert a Firebox into a functioning m0n0wall
(http://m0n0.ch/wall) which boots from the 8 meg IDE flash module soldered to
the motherboard. It required the use of a SCSI card, right-angle PCI adapter,
external CD-ROM, and a linux rescue CD modified for serial console support.

I'm running the latest m0n0wall net4511 distro with a replacement kernel that
understands the FBII's innards, though I've run into some weirdness with the
FreeBSD DEC/Intel 21143 NIC drivers: dc/miibus initialies the interfaces, but
doesn't get link. de works, but autonegotiation happens at 10/hdx and
connectivity drops when forced to 100/hdx or 100/fdx. I've done virtual no
debugging of either problem.

If anybody out there is interested, let me know and I'll put together a doc
on what I did to make it work.

cheers,
-josh

----- End forwarded message -----