[rescue] Exabyte 8500S - oui ou non?

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Sat Dec 20 18:07:54 CST 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> However, I just ran a little test on the Exabyte, and it was perfectly happy
> to use a 120 meter 8mm videotape; I was able to backup and the Challenge's
> root drive that way, and restore it to another disk.

> I wouldn't use videotapes on a regular basis, but that's all they had at the
> drugstore.

The biggest reason I've heard not to use videotapes is that the tapes
tend to shed a LOT more oxide particles than data grade.  Over time,
this can spell the end of the drive.

And keep in mind it's okay for analog video to drop "data" and not have
it be noticeable, but you'd notice if a chunk of your dump was amiss...

--Kurt