[rescue] Exabyte 8500S - oui ou non?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Sat Dec 20 18:07:31 CST 2003

 Eric Webb said ...
> On Wednesday 12 November 2003 10:20 am, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> > Among the namy items stuffed in the Challenge L is an Exabyte 8500S tape
> > drive.  A bit of googling indicates that this is a 5 GB drive
> (native) that
> > doesn't do compression, and that uses 8mm x 116 meter tapes.  Please
> > correct me if I'm wrong here....
>
> Nit-picking here, but isn't that 112-meter?

Yep.  I'd make some joke about 116 being 112 in base N, but it was just a
typo.

However, I just ran a little test on the Exabyte, and it was perfectly happy
to use a 120 meter 8mm videotape; I was able to backup and the Challenge's
root drive that way, and restore it to another disk.

I wouldn't use videotapes on a regular basis, but that's all they had at the
drugstore.

-Shel