[rescue] Exabyte 8500S - oui ou non?

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Sat Dec 20 18:07:54 CST 2003

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 01:30:48PM -0500, Kurt Mosiejczuk wrote:
> I've seen a couple DLT tapes go bad.  HOWEVER... these were tapes that
> were used to transport gigabytes of postscript documents between different
> print sites.  They were FedExed to the site, read into the system, and
> then sent back to the originating site.  And they did this 4-5 times a
> month, for years.

The *SAME TAPE(s)*?  Wow.

I did consulting once for a place that was using Novell and backing up to
DDS tape.

me: "What's your tape rotation schedule?"
them: "Tape rotation?  What's that?"
me: "How long have you been using this set of 5 tapes?"
them: "2-3 years?"
me: "Go out, RIGHT NOW, get BRAND NEW TAPES, and do a FULL BACKUP RIGHT NOW."
them: "Why?"
me: "Because these tapes are useless."

I set them up with three batches of tapes and a proper rotation schedule.

Bill

--
bill bradford
mrbill at mrbill.net