[rescue] Exabyte 8500S - oui ou non?

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Sat Dec 20 18:07:54 CST 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, David L Kindred (Dave) wrote:

> I don't have any "scientific" data to back this claim up, but I have
> been forced to throw out numerous DDS-1, DDS-2, and DDS-3 tapes (mostly
> HP and Sony, not "off-brands").  Some bad right OOB (Out Of the Box).  I
> have also had to throw out various 8mm "Exabyte" tapes.  I have had OOB
> failures on new Sony AIT-2 tapes.  But I never had a single problem with
> any DLT-III or DLT-IV tapes.  None.  Some problems with the drives,
> which were all repairable, but no failures of the tapes or the data on
> them.  And the DLT tapes were handled in the same manner, and stored in
> the same places, as the DDS and 8mm tapes.

I've seen a couple DLT tapes go bad.  HOWEVER... these were tapes that
were used to transport gigabytes of postscript documents between different
print sites.  They were FedExed to the site, read into the system, and
then sent back to the originating site.  And they did this 4-5 times a
month, for years.

Only seeing two go bad under that kind of abuse is VERY impressive.

--Kurt