[rescue] Sun Ultra 5 video

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Sat Dec 20 18:07:52 CST 2003

On Sunday, November 16, 2003, at 09:12 PM, Phil Stracchino wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 16, 2003 at 10:07:25PM -0500, Chris Purdy wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I just purchased an Ultra 5 on e-bay and had some questions regarding
>> the
>> video.  This machine is essentially and ultra 10 with a horizontal
>> form-factor, right?  Will the U10 creator 3d cards work in it?  I
>> can't find
>> any refernces to creator graphics in it, only PGX in 8 and 24 bit
>> flavors.
>

> Speaking of U10s, I have a friend with a U10 who asked me some
> questions
> about it that I realized I didn't know the answers to.
>
> (1) Does the U10's IDE controller have a limitation on the size and/or
> speed of drives it can talk to?

Not as far as I can determine.  I know that people are putting 60gig
drives in them without a problem.  You might have to put the right
c/h/s into whatever you use to create the Sun disklabel but that
happens with non-IDE drives too sometimes.

> (2) Can anyone proffer a list of PCI SCSI controllers known to work in
> U10 without CAT-scanning a haystack for the correct driver?

Umm....I think NCR but that's just a guess from my foggy data
retention...

I _do_ know that you _don't_ want an Adaptec card.  I've never seen one
work right.  Ever.

Mike Hebel