[rescue] LCD projector instead of monitor ?

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sun Dec 28 11:45:52 CST 2003

On Sun, Dec 28, 2003 at 11:14:16AM -0500, Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 wrote:
> I am looking into getting a nice big LCD monitor (17-19") for my main
> system.
>
> Then I realized that LCD or DLP projectors that can do 1024x768 or
> better are not much more than this.
>
> Has anyone ever used one of these as a monitor replacement?

Not as a monitor replacement, no.  I've used LCD projectors and been
very dissatisfied.  I've found it extremely difficult to find a
projector in the monitor-replacement price range that is capable of
projecting a non-tombstoned, non-barrelled image onto a wall with
uniform focus across the whole image, unless the projector is elevated
to have a straight horizontal shot at the wall.  Then there's the LCD
brightness problem.

If I was going to attempt this myself, I wouldn't consider anything but
a DLP projector.

Information to note:  Sharp and TI (I think) both manufacture DLP
projectors intended to be mounted on a ceiling bracket for use as a
front-projection TV.  I know Sharp rated the one I saw for 80" diagonal.
If you could find a similar projector set up for computer use, it might
do what you want.