[rescue] LCD projector instead of monitor ?

Mike Hebel nimitz at nimitzbrood.com
Sun Dec 28 10:41:33 CST 2003

On Sunday, December 28, 2003, at 10:14 AM, Patrick Giagnocavo
+1.717.201.3366 wrote:

> I am looking into getting a nice big LCD monitor (17-19") for my main
> system.
>
> Then I realized that LCD or DLP projectors that can do 1024x768 or
> better are not much more than this.
>
> Has anyone ever used one of these as a monitor replacement?

My friend had one of these set up before he moved out.

I have found that these are great for the following:

Programming - easier to see the whole layout and easier to read lines
of code. Depends on wall size.

RTS games - it's nice playing Diablo II and other such things on these
screens.

DVDs - these and a good sound system rock for playing movies.

Web browsing - duh!  ;-)

These things suck at:

I have found that these suck for FPS games.  They just don't react fast
enough usually and ghost a little when playing rendered games with fast
motion.

They also suck as far as brightness usually.  You'll also need some
sort of aux lighting for individual documents you have to look at while
working because these things work better in a darker environment.

You need to keep one large wall space clear of anything but maybe a
whiteboard.

Given a choice though and space to do it I'd install one despite the
downsides.

Mike Hebel