[rescue] Re: Antique SunPC accelerator

Chris Powell Chris.Powell at zarlink.com
Sat Dec 20 18:08:50 CST 2003

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003 16:53:26 -0800, James Birdsall wrote:

> I just picked up a SunPC 486DX25 for a buck, and there's a lot more where
> that came from. What was the last version of the software to support this?

SunPC 4.2 I think - this was an update/patch to 4.1 if memory serves.

> Does it run under Solaris 8? Also, does the software support multiple
> accelerators in one machine? I have a vision of an 8-way SS1000 with a dozen
> of these things installed. Why? Uh...

No and no. Last Solaris version was 2.6 - unfortunately copying SunPC
kernel code to 7 or 8 doesn't work (many have tried this).... The
hardware doesn't support >1 board per system - never actually
physically tried it though. Could just be the kernel driver?

These SunPC cards are fine for Windoze, but pretty s.l.o.w with
'95 (the SunPC 5x86 is much better). The PCi versions are far
superior for real work.

ChrisP.