[rescue] Did I kill the octane?

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Sat Dec 20 18:08:49 CST 2003

At 08:04 PM 12/7/2003 -0500, Kurt Huhn wrote:

>Looks like you've tried all the "normal" stuff.  Have you tried swapping

Yeah, google stuff helped there.

>frontplanes?  I had the SCSI bits [0] on one of my frontplanes go bad
>and it displayed *exactly* the same failure mode as yours.

Interesting.  I don't have any spares to swap, yet.  However, now that you
mention it I'm not at all certain that I put the scsi riser card (between
the frontplane and the drive board) in correctly.  It has a notation
printed on it about which side goes out, but you can still spin the board
180 degrees, so there's two possibilities.

>[0] Not the chipsets or anything, just the backplane and riser.  Wierd.

Jeez, now I've got to take it apart again.  Think it'll run without the
riser and sca board?

>If all else fails, and if you're interested, I have an Octane for sale.

Go ahead and send me some details off-list, if you don't mind.

thanks,
newell