[rescue] Did I kill the octane?

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Sat Dec 20 18:08:48 CST 2003

At 04:50 PM 12/7/2003 -0600, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:
>How did you attempt to clean the compression connectors?

I didn't.  Read the owner's guide before I got mine, so I was aware of the
connector issues.

>If you vacuumed across the compression connectors in a dry room, there
>is a very good chance that you killed them.  SGI recommended to me using
>a horsehair brush or computer-grade compressed air in a reasonably humid
>environment as the ONLY way of cleaning a compression connector, and
>that's only if it -needs[0]- to be done.

Some time back (6 months ago?) I _may_ have accidentally touched one while
installing memory.  Seems like I saw the faint outline of a fingerprint on
the connector, but the system was fine afterwards.

>Which model IP30 do you have?

Not sure...wait, it's on the pcb: 030-0887-003, rev F

>> Am I SOL?
>
>Unfortunately, it sounds that way.

If they're this fragile, it really makes me think twice about spending $ on
a replacement.

newell