[rescue] Octane R10K/175 CPU module available

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sat Dec 20 18:08:47 CST 2003

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 08:43:03AM -0500, Al Potter wrote:
> shannon at widomaker.com said:
> > If you are afraid of the real deal,
>
> I'm not, at all.... too many years around them for fear.  But having a
> discussion with the ATF or some other TLA about whether or not something is
> legal, particularly when it comes down to THEIR judgement in many of these
> cases, is not something I am interested in doing, particularly in this day
> and age.

Yeah.  The BATF, like the IRS, has a nasty rep for working on the basis
of "We're right and you're wrong, by definition." And I've heard of many
abuses.  I know of one case in which, having decided to go after a
particular collector, they intentionally destroyed a rare, valuable and
completely legal firearm from his collection in front of him in the hope
or provoking him into doing something they could arrest him for, and
another case in which ATF agents poured an elderly man's heart
medication out onto the floor and crushed the pills (after which one of
the agents stomped one of the couple's kittens to death, and later -
after the raid - the same agent repeatedly called them up to make
drunken death threats).

Nope, I have no desire to attract the attention of those jack-booted
stormtroopers.

> > PVC pipe can be made into some
> > interesting potato cannons.
>
> And for the inquiring minds, there is a written ruling from ATF floating
> around that PVC spud guns are NOT firearms.....

I think they keep reversing themselves on that.  The last "official"
BATF ruling *I* heard was that potato cannon are considered destructive
devices.