[rescue] Octane R10K/175 CPU module available

jdboyd at jdboyd.zill.net jdboyd at jdboyd.zill.net
Sat Dec 20 18:08:38 CST 2003

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 03:24:03PM +0000, Rob Fielding wrote:
> jdboyd at jdboyd.zill.net wrote:
> >On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 09:15:00AM -0500, Kevin wrote:
> >
> >>How would you "upgrade" an R10 to an R12?  There are differences
> >>other than cache, correct?
> >

> >The short of it (find information elsewhere and do at your own risk) is
> >you just do a CPU swap and rearrange some SMT resistors that set the
> >clock multiplier.
> >
> >See the hardware discussion forums on nekochan.net (beware gratuitus
> >anime women), specifical threads started by a guy going by chicago-joe.
>
> I fear the cut off point is the 200MHz R10K. The clock on the sub 200
> Mhz processors, or the tolerance's of the other components just isn't
> upto the job, and there's mention of fried motherboards....

I believe I pointed out several messages ago about the sub 225mhz
modules being a problem.

The current theory seems to be that it is the cache, but it could be
anything.  However, $15 doesn't seem like an unreasonable amount of
money to gamble.  No clue what replacement cache chips of the same sort
used on a 225mhz module would cost though.  Fiscally, I'd say it's
better to shelve sun 200mhz R10k modules and use 225mhz ones because
they only cost $75, and are much simpler to upgrade.  However, it would
earn one mighty geek points to upgrade a 175mhz module, and 195mhz
modules are a hell of a lot more plentiful than 225s or 250s or anything
R12k seems to be.