[rescue] AMIX (was: Sun 3/60 SunOS 4.1.1 netboot question)

brian wheeler bdwheele at indiana.edu
Wed Oct 30 13:45:50 CST 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 13:24, Carl-Johan Schenstrom wrote:
> On 30 Oct 2002, brian wheeler wrote:
>
> > Out of curiosity, anyone know cheap sources for smallish scsi disks?
> > I'm thinking about installing AMIX on my Amiga 2500 and I'm out of
> > 'extra' disks...
>
> So you've got the software at least? Hmm, interesting.. ;)

Yep, I got it from:
http://www.mmhart.com/AMIX.htm

> What hardware is supported by AMIX? Will it run on a vanilla A3000 (I seem
> to recall that AMIX ran on those but can't remember if there was a special
> A3000UX)? An A2000 with a 680[234]0-processor board (any or just CBM's)? I
> suppose A4000 was too new?

I think the 2620 & 2630 processor boards are capable of booting it,
though there is a ROM issue...2.04 ROM dual boots, but I'm not sure
about others.

I think the difference between A3000 & A3000UX was just the the
operating system (AmigaDOS vs AMIX), video card (UX has A2410?) & tape
drive (UX has QIC drive of some sort).   So the vanilla A3000 should run
it.

My A2500 is really:
	A2000 case with fancy A2500 sticker ;)
	A2091 hard disk controller
	A2630 processor card (68030) and 2.04 rom
	A2065 Ethernet
	ECS chipset
	9M RAM (1 Chip, 8 Fast)

When AMIX boots up it goes into interlace mode which really threw me for
a while because I was using a cheap-o composite monitor that didn't
support interlace!

> It would be fun to have an Amiga again and even more fun to run AMIX on
> it.

:) I picked mine up from IU surplus (along with the aforementioned 3/60
and a ton of other crap) for $25.  Unfortunately,  I've not been able to
repeat that performance!

Brian