[rescue] Re-animating older CLARiiON disk array...

vraptor at employees.org vraptor at employees.org
Mon Oct 28 13:11:13 CST 2002

On Mon, 28 Oct 2002, Marc Gutschner wrote:

>	Is it possible, to just hook up the drive to another machine
>	and 'dd' an image file from a working system to the disk to
>	revive the array?
>
>	If yes, where I can get such an image?
>
>	If no, is there anyone out there who can "mirror me a disk",
>	so that I can breathe new life into this otherwise excellent
>	piece of hardware?

>From my most recent experience with the newer Clariion's,
you can actually do this from the software that runs on
a Windoze host (well, maybe they have Solaris by now) to
manage the array.  That's how they did firmware upgrades
to the head of the array that I had in for perf testing
to see if we wanted to buy one.  Not sure if it'll apply
to the older ones.

I can't remember if the license for the basic mgmt software
was attached to the array or a separate thing.  You might
want to poke around the EMC web site and see what you can
find.  Since it's older, maybe they have some legacy apps
up for it.  Alternatively, you could try calling them and
seeing what their policy is on transfer of hardware/licenses.

=Nadine=