[rescue] HP C110 drives

Nathaniel Grady nate at nutopia.org
Mon Oct 28 10:22:43 CST 2002

Greetings,
I recently acquired a C110 with a rather happy 512mb of ram and a rather unhappy 2x2gb disks. I thought it had 2x4gb disks, but apparently I didn't read the ebay page carefully enough.  My glancing at docs indicates that this thing wants HVD hard drives on the internal fast-wide scsi bus? Did anybody ever make, say, a 9gb HVD drive, or am I going to have to put it on the slower "CD-ROM" bus if I want a reasonable sized drive? I didn't realize that HVD was used for anything but external drive arrays...

Incidentally I'm incredibly impressed with HP engineers. I remember being shocked the first time I opened a SUN and realized that not all computers were rats-nest PC's (well, that and the whole bit of a 486-era machine still being in useful service!). The C110 is even a step above that - there's a little diagram in the drive cage showing how one should route the cables depending on where drives are, where one should fold away the extra bits, etc! Wow! Not to mention that it could double as a bunker wall...

--Nate