[rescue] Re-animating older CLARiiON disk array...

David Passmore dpassmor at sneakers.org
Mon Oct 28 11:41:45 CST 2002

On Mon, Oct 28, 2002 at 10:53:55AM +0100, Marc Gutschner wrote:

> 	Is it possible, to just hook up the drive to another machine
> 	and 'dd' an image file from a working system to the disk to
> 	revive the array?
>
> 	If yes, where I can get such an image?
>
> 	If no, is there anyone out there who can "mirror me a disk",
> 	so that I can breathe new life into this otherwise excellent
> 	piece of hardware?

The disks are formatted using 520 byte sectors, and the LIC code is stored
on the drive in those 8 bytes past 512.

It's possible that a machine that can understand 520 byte sectors (every Sun
I've tried can) could dd one disk to another, but I've always just stuck a
drive in the clariion and 'mirrored' the database drive to another drive,
which copies the LIC code as well.

I can do this for you. I have two working Clariions; one AMD, one PowerPC.
Turnaround might be slow. I'm in Silver Spring, MD if you want to ship me a
drive. Preferably a Seagate ST15500N (is that the right model # for the
4GB?)

David