[rescue] Indigo2 Blues

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Oct 26 18:37:19 CDT 2002

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002, David Venable wrote:

> I can now get to the sash files on my Impact2, (cdrom, iso problems),
> problem is, I purchased the Irix 6.3 full version, on ebay. Yea, I know it's
> for Octane only, now......

IRIX 6.3 is for the O2, and -only- for the O2.  It doesn't not contain
the proper drivers for a -lot- of system-level stuff.  Email me
privately, and I might have a spare 6.2 set kicking around somewhere.

> I was just trying to get it booting and verify the cd, hd setup. The install
> pukes when I try the fx command. It complains about a bunch of stuff, the
> main problem seems to be an unexpected bus, an eisa is mentioned, as well as
> a bunch of hex.

That would be becaue the O2 only has PCI, whereas the Indigo2 only has
EISA and GIO64, and the SCSI buses are entirely different.

> Would anybody care to conjecture the the wrong OS is discovered that
> quickly, or do I still have hardware issues?

I have IRIX 6.3 sitting on the shelf from when I wanted to upgrade my
Indigo2 from 6.2 to something more current.  It just Won't Work on an
Indigo2--the hardware is too different.  You either want 6.2 or 6.5.
Mail me privately, and I'll see what CDs I can dig up.

--
Jonathan Patschke
 "you know, there are people who like having potatoes and jellyjars shoved up