[rescue] compare E250 and Ultra 2

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Oct 26 13:43:09 CDT 2002

On Saturday, October 26, 2002, at 11:26 AM, Paul Phillips wrote:
> I've been thinking of trying to rescue either an E250 or an Ultra 2
> for use as a  web server, (servlets, etc).

   Cool!

> I notice that Ultra2s can be found at relatively reasonable prices,
> while E250s seem much more expensive.
>
> Would similarly configured E250 and Ultra 2 perform equally well for
> my intended use?  If so, why are the E250s so expensive, other than
> their expandability?

   Uhh, because the E250 is a current machine? ;)

> PS - I already have one Ultra 2 dual 300 that has a different task
> (development machine).  In a (not particularly scientific) test, I
> notice that my G4 with a single 533 mhz processor starts up Tomcat
> almost twice as fast as does the Ultra 2 dual 300...

   Apple has made significant performance enhancements to the JVM, which
they've sent back to Sun for inclusion into the post-1.4 code.  That's
why they're still stuck at 1.3.1 while the rest of the world has been
running 1.4 for many months, and 1.4.1 for weeks.

   On that note, however, I should point out that Apple has just made
available a developer prerelease of 1.4.1.

   I'm doing some Tomcat hacking here too, mostly front-ending databases
and messing with Cocoon's XML/XSLT transform capabilities (it runs
under a servlet container).  I played with PHP's XSLT stuff for almost
a whole hour, and dumped it like a hot rock when I saw Cocoon. ;)  What
sort of stuff are you doing with Tomcat?

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                  "Mmmm, big."
St. Petersburg, FL                -Den