[rescue] IBM RS/6000 3CT

vance at neurotica.com vance at neurotica.com
Fri Oct 25 19:15:36 CDT 2002

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Mike Johnson wrote:

> I recently came into possession of one of these beasties and can't seem
> to find much in the way of information (maybe I'm just looking in the
> wrong places).  I've found that it's a 67MHz POWER2, and I've found the
> diag codes.  It also seems to be maxed out in memory (but I don't know
> what the maximum is).  It has a sound card, an ATM card, and a video
> card (which is a GXT150M, it would seem).  It also has a 2GB drive. When
> booting, it goes through a bunch of diagnostics on the little read-out,
> and (I guess) makes it into the OS, and the display clears.

What is the keyswitch set to?

> My problem is I don't have a monitor for it (it doesn't seem to like Sun
> monitors) and I can't figure out how to get serial console.  Any
> pointers?

Won't work with a Sun monitor, but it would work with quite a few PC
monitors.

To get serial console, you have to remove the framebuffer.  And you
shouldn't have a keyboard and mouse hooked up.

> And, to offend any AIX fans out there: any chance it'll run something
> other than AIX?

No, but AIX tends to grow on you after a while.  It's quite feature-laden.

Peace...  Sridhar