[rescue] Rather complete SPARCplug on ebay...

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Fri Oct 25 09:55:03 CDT 2002

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Lionel Peterson wrote:

> Are there any software requirements for this - can you just plug &
> play, or is there something special about the X Windows software for
> the PC they bundled with this hardware?

I don't believe there was anything special.  At least, it worked Just
Fine for me with a vanilla install of Exceed.  The 'plug exists
independently of the PC, save the draw on the power suply.  The
communications all happen over RS-232 and Ethernet, just as if it were a
SPARCstation sitting on the desk next to the PC.

In fact, I ran one for a couple of years without a host PC.  Ross even
made a special case for rackmounting two 'plugs side-by-side, which was
all sorts of cool.

> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2064003638

A nifty uniprocessor SS20 in a cool form-factor at a not-bad price.

--
Jonathan Patschke
 "you know, there are people who like having potatoes and jellyjars shoved up