[rescue] Linux on PA-RISC (was: hp visualize-s.. B's and C's)

Steve Pacenka s.pacenka at verizon.net
Wed Oct 23 16:10:18 CDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 15:14, Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On 2002.10.23 01:08 Steve Pacenka wrote:
>
> > The main limitation for me in July was that quite a few X applications
> > packages were available in PA-RISC Woody but would not complete
> > installation or runtime linking on the 7xx platforms.  No mozilla,
> > galeon, dillo, xemacs, emacs, xmms.  A recent query on the HPPA kernel
> > mailing list yielded similar experience by others with 7xx'es.
> Ahhhmmm? Is there no gcc?
> I always thought there is an automated way to self build packages with
> Debian like on the *BSD systems.

Yes you can build packages from source under Debian, with a good degree
of automation.  The gcc is mature enough to build kernels.  I'm not so
sure about the C library and other libraries.

On an HP 720 it takes a couple of hours to build something as large as
xemacs from source.  And then when it fails to launch in the same way
that the binary prepackaged version failed did you are not happy.

-- SP