[rescue] New toys

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 22 01:42:59 CDT 2002

On Tuesday 22 October 2002 3:14 am, Steve Hatle wrote:
> that comes up appears to have 64 meg of RAM. I assume the other is
> configured similarly.

That's *really* tight (Alpha'a are a bit on the hungry side).

> So- how to troubleshoot the one that doesn't come up? It appears to

Are you sure it has any memory at all? It sounds possible that someone
has ripped bits out of those two to beef up a third. And lack of memory
may make booting up somewhat difficult.

> with these beasties. If nothing else, can I put the CPU's and memory
> from the one into the other and go quad CPU? I'm not much of a DEC

You may have to add the PSU from one into the other to go to quad ... I
seem to remember we needed a power supply upgrade when going to 3 CPUs
on a 2100 at work.