[rescue] hp visualize-s.. B's and C's

Mike F lists at ns.mikef.dyndns.org
Mon Oct 21 10:04:33 CDT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joshua D Boyd" <jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu>
To: <rescue at sunhelp.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 19, 2002 8:58 PM
Subject: Re: [rescue] hp visualize-s.. B's and C's

> On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 12:00:42PM -0500, Leslie Connally wrote:
> > hp visualize-s.. B's and C's
> >
> > what are HP HP-UX Visualize-s "worth".. are they amusing?  B180x
> > C180?x C 2xx??
> >
> > This is of course a Sun-centric list, with Joshua and other IRIX & 3Ders
> > thrown in for fun.. but noone seems to be HP junkies..
>
> Availability and price are the reason I don't have any HPs.  Everything
> I've ever head of about the HP Visualize machines has been really good,
> except that it's not an SGI.

As in, low availability and high price? Check on ebay, there's always
plenty of B & C-class workstations up, as well as the ubiquitous 712
series. They're usually available cheap. In fact, take a look right now at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2062418689

These are going dutch, and with 25 available, they'll go at the starting
price of $20.00. Of course, he wants $30 for shipping, but those C-class
machines are about 35 lbs. IIRC.

Sure, they're not SGIs, but these machines are truly built like tanks,
and they have a lot of bang for the buck. You can run HP-UX on them if
you can get media (license is free,) or you can run Debian Linux on
them, although the "rescue" value of these machines lies in running HP-UX,
since they're the only machines that run it, and that's what they were
built to run.