[rescue] ultra-1 question

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Oct 19 15:02:51 CDT 2002

On Saturday, October 19, 2002, at 02:38 PM, James wrote:
> besides having trouble breaking the root password (I know all roots,
> but this must be one that predates me),  it is complaining that 64bit
> O/S is installed, but 32bit is default for this microprocessor.
>
> boot splash shows ultra-1, 167mhz, 256M dram.
>
> Would this be a 32 bit machine? I thought all ultras were 64 bit.

   Other folks have adequately explained why this machine defaults to
32-bit mode...as far as actually changing it to 64-bit mode though,
edit /platform/sun4u/boot.conf...The variable to set will be obvious.

   As others have also mentioned, you may need to upgrade OBP for this
to work.  A Solaris install will offer to do this for you, though I
don't know offhand how to do it manually.

          -Dave

St. Petersburg, FL       reboot and upgrade."    -Jonathan Patschke