[rescue] ultra-1 question

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Sat Oct 19 14:14:24 CDT 2002

On Saturday 19 October 2002 8:02 pm, Jeff Workman wrote:
> For whatever reason[1] Sun decided that 32 bit Solaris should be the
> default for the earlier UltraSparc processors.  I think this applies
> [1] I'm sure somebody else on the list can elaborate on this.

The earliest uSPARC's had a bug that allowed an unpriviliged instruction
in 64-bit mode to crash the processor. It happens to be something that
would only be encountered by someone who intentionally used it as a DoS
(the compilers apparently don't use this instruction)

I've run an Ultra1 with the vulnerable processor in 64-bit mode for
years without problems, but I wouldn't run it in 64-bit mode if
students had access to the machine.