[rescue] large lot of cheap 72pin memory on e bay

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Thu Oct 17 14:44:34 CDT 2002

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 23:04:39 -0400
"Loomis, Rip" <GILBERT.R.LOOMIS at saic.com> wrote:

> (yes, I already sorted out the stuff that's more obvious...
> but I've got 4 IBM-labeled SIMMs with 10 chips each that as I remember
> don't work in anything at all...and other odd bits like that.)

IBM used funky SIMMS in some of the PS/2 stuff, like the model 70.  It
had a different addressing scheme than normal memory.  The last time I
ran into it a lady I knew had ignored my advice, and bought a used 386
IBM with 2M of RAM for $700+ (this was late 486 days) and discovered
that she couldn't run her software.  It cost her another $200 if I
remember correctly, to put in another 2M.  At the time normal PC RAM was
around $30/M.

Tim