[rescue] large lot of cheap 72pin memory on e bay

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Thu Oct 17 20:41:42 CDT 2002

"Tim H." <lists at pellucidar.net> sez ...
> "Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at cmhcsys.com> wrote:
>
> > Really maxing a Classic/LX requires two 32 meg sticks (in bank 0) and
> > four 16 meggers in the other two banks, for a total of 128 MB.  I have
> > a couple of machines set up like that, and they work fine.  The memory
> > is FPM 36-bit real parity.
> >
> > -Shel
>
> Are these machines 36 bit parity (1 parity bit per byte) or 33 bit
> parity (1 parity bit per 32 bit word)?  I know the IPX is 33 bit, but I
> was curious about the others.

I honestly don't know.

I've heard that 36-bit memory in 33-bit machines just results in the extra
three bits' being ignored, but (a) I don't know if this applies to _all_
33-bit machines, and (b) I don't know if it applies to _any_ 33 bit machines
besides mine.

I did put the IPX's Sun-barcoded memory in the LX, and it worked, so, if the
IPX is indeed 33-bit, the LX must be, too.  My LX and my Classics have
regular-ole feecee memory in them, though, so they evidently will take 36
bit.

Now, what's odd is that I've got four more 16 MB sticks hand-labelled "FPM
parity", which will not work in my Indigo2.

One day when I'm here alone I'm going to doen the network, have a
memory-swapping party and see what's what.

-Shel