[rescue] Re: Re: Bull Escala T604e

roosmcd at dds.nl roosmcd at dds.nl
Thu Oct 17 10:34:21 CDT 2002

>[dual R10k 250 MHz Siemens machine for 51,-EUR]
>> Dude, take it.  Think of it as an extra cheap O200, or something.
>Hmpf. Still a Siemens. It may be some kind of ARC machine
>and it will run SINIX. Puke. Or WinNT? Puke^2.
>I think even Linux doesn't run on them. Maybe it will with a
>litle work, as the RM200 is supported. But, you know, there
>is an other PPC 604e machine... still at 1,-EUR...

Yes, SNI machines are weird :). I do like the fact that they have normal PCI
and EISA slots instead of GIO/XIO/etc.. They also make quite nice bigger
machines (up to something like 128 R14k processors I think). I also have Sinix
5.43 install cd's if someone decides to buy the machine on ebay (no idea if
5.43 would be the right version for that machine). I probably would buy it at
this price, but figure the bidding will put it somewhat higher. And I wanted to
buy a whitewater kayak instead of a computer :).

>> Heck, I'd take it if it wasn't across an ocean.
>He. Normaly it goes the other way. "It is so a nice machine,
>but beyond the big pond..."

 Was Sinix used outside Europe? Appearantly every library in .nl ran it's
catalog system on Sinix machines (MX300). Also note that there's a sinix
version that runs on X86 (though very limited device support) hardware that's
called "SINIX-Z". Unfortunately it's very hard get (although you probably still
can buy ot from Siemens).

 greetings,
   Michiel