[rescue] FDDI Fun

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.net
Wed Oct 16 21:15:23 CDT 2002

On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Michael Schiller wrote:
> Yes, I think you're right. It will work, but would technically be wrong.
> The switch in the middle will act like it's dual homing, the PC will
> work properly, and the other switch on the other end will be in the wrap
> mode, it will think that there's a break in the dual ring (which there
> is), and go into the wrap mode. If you're talking about Lanplex 2500's I
> believe you can set them specifically to use the ports either as a dual
> ring, or as dual homed, but I'm not 100% sure of the exact commands to
> do this.

I saw this in the manual. The card got here today (yippie!) but the fiber
and other switches have yet to arrive. Wow, MICs are really wierd
connectors.

> installing the SK card in my PC so that all my machines (other than my
> sparcbook, it's ethernet only :( and my printers) will be FDDI.

I'm just adding the FDDI card so I can use the PC as a gateway since I
have a PC that does nothing much more than route ethernet packets all day.
It's also there in case I have some crazy need to attach the switch to a
PC for other reasons (like ran out of 100Mbit ports).

Oh, and my Sparcbook is ethernet-only as well. Now if I could just find
the time to play with it and replace it's failed hard drive. :(

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR  <kris at nospam.catonic.net>  TGIFreeBSD IM: 'KrisBSD'
                    "BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!"