[rescue] Bull Escala T604e

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Wed Oct 16 17:19:32 CDT 2002

Hi.

Finaly I got it working... (PSU is picky, seller messed up RAM
config...)
It is a nice desk side box, 1/4 GB DIMM RAM, dual PPC 604e 360 MHz, two
64 bit PCI busses, dual 100BaseT Ethernet, three UW SCSI busses, six
(empty) hot swap SCA drive bays, CDROM. All for 175,-EUR (ca. US$ 175).

Now I need an OS.
Linux - no go. Crashes with fatal panic, but who cares about penguins?
AIX 4.1 - no go. Crashes with fatal panic.
AIX 4.3.3 will not boot. Broken CDR?
NetBSD - The ofppc kernel comes up to the point where it starts init and
freezes. The prep kernel freezes very early in startup. It should be
possible to get NetBSD/prep running on that beast, as the OpenFirmware
claims itself PReP compatible. Hacking NetBSD on that machine is the
intended use.

Does anyone have any experience with this machine type?
Do I need a special Bull version of AIX?
Any other infos? I found nothing usefull at http://www.Bull.com and
Google.
--

tsch|_,