[rescue] just noticed: R10k Octanes $500 in Toronto

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Mon Oct 14 14:14:16 CDT 2002

[ On Monday, October 14, 2002 at 11:35:01 (-0400), Michael Decerbo wrote: ]
> Subject: [rescue] just noticed: R10k Octanes $500 in Toronto
>
> I'm not sure what's a good deal for Octanes at this point (Indys are
> more in my price range), but I see that www.auctiondepot.com has got
> two R10k Octanes up for bid starting at $500 with no takers yet. The
> $500 includes a 19" SGI monitor. The auctions close tomorrow (Tuesday)
> night.

so sad -- no money....

(the IBM Netfinity 4-way PPro machines might be nice NetBSD boxes too)

> I have had good luck with auctiondepot in the past; sometimes things
> go for cheap because no one is interested. I guess they just don't get
> as many eyeballs as eBay.

Did you see the big (i.e. racks full of) raid arrays that went dirt
cheap a few months ago?

> They are based out of Toronto, though, and shipping on these is liable
> to be hefty because they probably consider the computer and monitor
> separate shipments.

This is the one part about auctiondepot that really sucks.  They haven't
got a clue about shipping and don't even have the brains to stick some
guy at their dock for an hour every other day or so to allow local
pickups.  I think they get a cut from UPS or some such.  And complete
idiots about it too, though some people say if you show up at their door
and threaten to put a stop payment on your credit card they'll let you
have your gear.

--
								Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods at ieee.org>;           <woods at robohack.ca>