[rescue] "SX19171W" Seagate/EMC drives?

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Mon Oct 14 13:05:34 CDT 2002

All--
I just got around to unpacking a crate of the
aforementioned drives, as seen on eBay (but
listed as ST19171WC drives).  I threw three
of them into an RSM disk shelf, and they are
seen by Solaris "format" but don't seem to
"be there" during system boot.  The lights on
the RSM shelf for those drives don't light
up when the shelf is starting all the drives,
which also seems peculiar.

ISTR previous discussions of these drives, but
I'm not sure of the details--and there don't seem
to be any jumpers to change on these drives
to make them fully functional.  I'm guessing that
they're waiting for some special start-up command
over the SCSI bus, and the best way to fix might
be to write new (non-EMC) firmware to them.

Any suggestions?

  --Rip