[rescue] Re: U60 board into a U30

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Fri Oct 11 16:57:54 CDT 2002

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Shawn Wallbridge wrote:

> Does anyone know for sure if a U60 motherboard will fit in a U30? I am
> looking at a U60 motherboard to go into my U30.
>
> I thought I remember someone here doing that (Robert Novak maybe).

Yep, it was me and it does work. Not a good upgrade to do with long
fingernails, but the boards are the same form factor so you should have
little trouble doing the upgrade.

http://sunsolve.sun.com/handbook_pub/Systems/U60/docs.html has the
service manual, whichi tells you how to remove the board and put the new
one in. Make sure you read it to ensure that you remove all of the
appropriate fasteners. I almost snapped my U30 board because I missed one
of the screws.

One other note: The U30 has a single-cpu fan shroud, which will not direct
air over the second cpu in a U60. Also, as I recall, you won't have
grooves to put the second cpu in, so be careful when you insert it.
However, my U30-turned-U60 ran quite well for a month or two with a full
complement of RAM and a pair of 450/4MB X1195A cpus (plus frame buffers
and sunpci) without problems.

--Rob