[rescue] DEC Alphastation 255 & OS options

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Thu Oct 10 21:52:31 CDT 2002

On Thursday, October 10, 2002, at 10:40 PM, Francisco Javier
Mesa-Martinez wrote:
> Question: Is openVMS 7.3 already available for the hobbyist programme?
> also did get a 255 and I want to run openVMS for my enjoyment at home.

   Not sure...I doubt it.  I have 7.2 here...haven't heard anything
about 7.3 in the hobbyist program.  Best to check
http://www.montagar.com to be sure.

> Also does anyone have experience with vms as an NFS/Samba server? I
> think
> that vms does have a limit to the level of subdirectories that one can
> create so I do not know if that hinders its integration with unix. As I
> have never used a vms machine for more than a few hours, I am looking
> forward to play with it.

   I've never run into a directory depth limit under VMS.  Not saying
there isn't one, mind you, but I've never hit one.

       -Dave

St. Petersburg, FL       reboot and upgrade."    -Jonathan Patschke