[rescue] DEC Alphastation 255 & OS options

Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez lefa at cats.ucsc.edu
Thu Oct 10 21:40:24 CDT 2002

> > Having done more *BSD & Linux than I care to talk about right now, I'd
> > like to maybe explore some other options.  Are there any other free
> > OS's that do right by this hardware?  These are my first Alphas so I'm
> > not terribly familiar with what works best on them yet.  I checked out
> > http://www.tru64unix.compaq.com/noncommercial-unix/ and unfortunately
> > they want enthusiasts to hand over $99 for Tru64.  :-/
>
>    VMS!  8-)

Question: Is openVMS 7.3 already available for the hobbyist programme? I
also did get a 255 and I want to run openVMS for my enjoyment at home.

Also does anyone have experience with vms as an NFS/Samba server? I think
that vms does have a limit to the level of subdirectories that one can
create so I do not know if that hinders its integration with unix. As I
have never used a vms machine for more than a few hours, I am looking
forward to play with it.