[rescue] compilers under solaris 2.6

Bill Bradford mrbill at mrbill.net
Thu Oct 10 00:02:32 CDT 2002

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 04:22:52PM +1300, Kenneth Dunn wrote:
> I get this message under solaris 2.6:
> # ./cc
> /usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
> Past experiences compiling free software under solaris 2.6 (x86)
> using GNU tools was not good. A lot of configuration files assume an
> environment that is not GNU centric. Any pointers on to how to setup
> an environment that works with minimum pain ?

I've never had a single problem using GCC, and with GCC 3.2, I can even
compile ipfilter in 64-bit mode, so I dont need Sun's compilers at
all.

Install the following:
- GNU tar
- GNU make
- GCC 2.95.3 or 3.2 (your preference)

mv /usr/ucb/cc sun.cc
ln -s /usr/local/bin/gcc /usr/ucb/cc

mv /usr/sbin/tar /usr/sbin/sun.tar
ln -s /usr/local/bin/tar /usr/sbin/tar

mv /usr/ccs/bin/make /usr/ccs/bin/sun.make
ln -s /usr/local/bin/make /usr/ccs/bin/make

Doing this, I've never had problems, as long as PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH
(or CRLE, if you're running sol8/9) are setup correctly:

mrbill at ohno:~> echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/ucb

mrbill at ohno:~> echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/openwin/lib:/usr/ucblib

I havent used a Sun C/C++ compiler in oh, two years now?

And - I compile everything from scratch (except for recent GCC 3.2
releases, which I grab in package format from Sunfreeware - but
EVERYTHING else, Apache/GNU/MySQL/PHP/etc/etc/etc, I compile from
scratch via source tarballs..)

Bill

--
bill bradford