[rescue] A quick NFS question

Matthew Haas wedge at lightlink.com
Wed Oct 9 18:24:31 CDT 2002

On Wed, 9 Oct 2002, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:

> I like my Indigo2 a lot.  So much so that I'd like to be able to use NFS to
> mount some directories off of my SPARCstation LX and just use the I2.

 Wow, that's almost freaky.. I am doing almost the exact same thing... I
have my MP3 collection living on my SPARCstation LX which I NFS mount onto
my Indigo2.

> It seems simple enough:  edit "/etc/dfs/dfstab" and run
> "/etc/init.d/nfs.server start" on the LX, then run some mount command on the
> I2.

 Of course the big difference is I'm using Debian (2.2) on my LX... it was
easy to setup there. nfsd & portmapper & mountd started with the proper
lines in /etc/exports and it worked good.

> The Sun's dfstab file's only non-commented line looks like this:
>
>     share -F nfs -d "Home Directories" /users
>
> and starting nfs.server produces no error messages.

 I don't know if this is possible, although I don't see why not... but can
you mount the exported NFS filesystem from the LX on the LX? If you get
problems there it may point to a configuration problem on the LX, not the
I2.

> What mount command should I use on the I2?  "mount -F nfs rtfm:/users/shel
> mnt" doesn't work (mnt is a directory in the directory I'm in).
>
> I seem to be missing something.  Can someone direct a clue my way?

 I don't even see a "-F" argument in the mount man page on my I2 (running
IRIX 6.5.7f). But to get going on my I2 I just have to do:

 mount -t nfs sparclx:/mp3 /mnt

 I think, once upon a time, I did go into System Manager on my I2 and
setup a temporary NFS mount from my LX. I don't know if it kept some
values anywhere, but I never use it as a simple command-line mount is so
much easier to me than clicking through the menus.

 Good luck.

---
 Matthew Haas           Squirrel's Law #209203923: "Thou shalt ignoreth
 Corning/Geneseo, NY       all RAM specifications, they're noo scottish"