[rescue] Linux help (was ZX coolness)

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Oct 8 13:04:20 CDT 2002

On Tuesday, October 8, 2002, at 01:58 PM, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
>>   And the LANL people are messing with Linux for the same reason IBM,
>> Sun, and all the other big shops are...because it's getting press.
>> The
>> LANL people will have a much better shot at getting grant money for
>> "synergizing with a linux solution" than they would a solid, less
>> marketing-oriented operatin system.
>
> I'm sure that is the case.  After all, how hard could it be to add SSI,
> namespaces, or myrinet drivers to NetBSD?  NetBSDBios might be a bit
> harder to recreate, but then, I think LinuxBIOS was originally started
> by these people anyway, so if they'd done it then...
>
> But, even if they are choosing linux over netbsd for marketing reasons,
> I still think they are doing cool stuff with it.

   Oh, I agree 100%.  And it's not that I dislike Linux (hell, I
actually like it quite a bit) I just dislike the weenie "culture"
that's grown up around it, and the enthusiasm with which a lot of
people try to press it into service in applications for which it is
ill-suited.

        -Dave

St. Petersburg, FL       reboot and upgrade."    -Jonathan Patschke