[rescue] Linux help (was ZX coolness)

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Oct 8 12:58:39 CDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 08, 2002 at 01:51:49PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>   JOSH.  I was getting on your shit for using the non-word "distro".

Hmm.  I mainly used it based on the context of being encourage to switch
to a new one.  I generally try to maintain that SimplyGNUstep, the
squeak project, and that forth project (build a forth interpreter into
the kernel, and worked out from there) are completely different OSs from
redhat and debian.

>   And the LANL people are messing with Linux for the same reason IBM,
> Sun, and all the other big shops are...because it's getting press.  The
> LANL people will have a much better shot at getting grant money for
> "synergizing with a linux solution" than they would a solid, less
> marketing-oriented operatin system.

I'm sure that is the case.  After all, how hard could it be to add SSI,
namespaces, or myrinet drivers to NetBSD?  NetBSDBios might be a bit
harder to recreate, but then, I think LinuxBIOS was originally started
by these people anyway, so if they'd done it then...

But, even if they are choosing linux over netbsd for marketing reasons,
I still think they are doing cool stuff with it.

--
Joshua D. Boyd