[rescue] Linux help (was) ZX coolness

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at bfr.co.il
Tue Oct 8 09:39:26 CDT 2002

Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> Yeah, my file system is correcting the errors caused by crashing (note,
> I doubt it is linux's fault, but rather I blame it on the hardware
> makers.  Especially the video card one who refused to use standard
> drivers or userlang drivers, but instead had to supply proprietary
> drivers as a kernel module).

The following will help prevent file system corruption, not fix the
problem:

1. If your version of Linux supports it, install ext3 file system support
   and use it. If not, try ReiserFS.

2. add the following to /etc/crontab:

	(redhat systems):	0-59/3 * * * * root /bin/sync 2>&1 >/dev/null
	(non redhat)		0-59/3 * * * * /bin/sync >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
                                     ^
You may want to make that 1 if you feel that recoverability is more important
than performance.

Geoff.

(more information glady given in email)
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson
Bloomberg L.P., BFM (Israel) 2 hours ahead of London, 7 hours ahead of New York.